5 hours 30 minutes (Approx.)
Hotel pickup offered
Offered in: English
Explore our promoted experiences
Join a nighttime adventure into the waters of Laguna Grande as you visit the area’s amazing bioluminescent bay during this half-day excursion. Hop aboard a clear-bottomed kayak as you paddle through the dense mangrove forests, heading to the area where the microscopic plankton puts on its surreal aquatic light show when you glide through the water. Your professional guide also tells you more about this fragile ecosystem and how visitors can help protect it.
- Nighttime kayaking excursion to bioluminescent bay in Puerto Rico
- Paddle your way through the waters in a glass-bottom kayak
- Marvel at the glowing plankton in the water
- Learn about this fragile and unique eco-system from the guide
- Get picked up and dropped off at your hotel (in the San Juan area)
Saved to wishlist!
Complimentary pickup and drop-off in selected areas of San Juan (Old San Juan, Condado and Isla Verde locations and touristic zones). Locations outside of San Juan are subject to additional pick up fee.
Bottom glass kayaks (for participants weighting 185 lbs (83kg) or less)
Participants weighting 186-260 lbs must notify it upon booking to arrange for a regular kayak
Quality kayaking gear and equipment (small size for children)
Kayaking orientation and instructions
Commentary of the surrounding area and its flora and fauna
Light Snacks and bottles of water
Additional pick up fee will apply if staying in towns like Dorado, Rio Grande, Fajardo and Humacao. Meeting point option also available.
Departure & Return
Departure PointTraveler pickup is offered
Complimentary pick up in selected areas of San Juan: Old San Juan, Condado, Isla Verde, Miramar and Ocean Park and Calle Loiza. Meeting point available by PR-3 in Rio Grade, Luquillo and Fajardo.
Exact pick up time will be provided the day prior to the tour.
- Panamerican Pier
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Maximum weight to participate on Glass Bottom Kayak: 185pounds (83 kg) per person
- Maximum weight to participate on Regular Kayak: 260 pounds (113 kg) per person
- Due to the strict weight restriction all participants are subject to be weighted prior to beginning the tour. No cancellations or refunds will be issued if a person neglects to inform correct weight, and is not able to participate of the tour.
- Each participant must be capable of paddling on their own on a 2 person kayak, and be able to sit on the same position for about 2 hours.
- You will get wet, it is recommended that you wear bathing suit underneath, bring a towel and extra clothes for after the tour.
- Not suitable for pregnant women past their third month, persons with recent surgeries, past injuries or back problems, heart complaints or other serious medical conditions.
- This tour does not includes a stop to eat.
- The bio bay is an unpredictable natural phenomenon that may be influenced by multiple factors. Bioluminoscity level can vary from very visible to minimum or none without any previous notice. Full Moon phase may also affect the visibility. In the event of this happening alternate methods such as the use of a tarp will be incorporated in order to appreciate it.
- GLASS BOTTOM KAYAKS ARE NOT AVAILABLE ON TUESDAYS due to maintenance, instead tour will be conducted on Regular Kayaks. No refunds will be issued due to this.
- Please travel light and only bring the necessary to the tour. Leave behind electronic devices, any important documentation like passport, large sums of cash or credit cards. Cell phones require waterproof case. Bespoke Lifestyle Management will not be responsible for lost or stolen belongings. No luggage allowed on the buses.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Reservations made for the 6pm tour (second run) have a probability of being rescheduled to the first run if minimum is not met, or first run still has spaces available.
- Minimum age to participate is 7 years.
- Participants cannot be afraid of the dark as you will be kayaking thru pitch black areas.
- Failure to provide hotel/lodging/cruise information upon booking may result in bus not being able to pick you at your location or close to it. No refunds will be issued if you miss your pick up.
- Bus will wait only 5 minutes after your assigned pick up time. No refunds will be issued if you miss your pick up.
- This tour operates under rain and other weather conditions. Guide will determine to call it off when thunderstorms or other serious conditions happens.
- Most travelers can participate
- Bespoke LM Reserves the Right of Admission - If a person appears to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs, not following instructions or being disruptive the Guide has the right to Cancel their reservation at any moment, and No Refunds will be issued due to this.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 25 travelers
- OPERATED BY Bespoke Lifestyle Management
You can cancel up to 24 hours in advance of the experience for a full refund.
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What causes the bioluminescence that we see during the Bioluminescent Bay Glass Bottom Kayak Tour from San Juan?
A:The luminescence is caused by our glowing friends, the Pyrodinium Bahamense, microscopic planktons capable of producing natural light at the touch of your hand!
Is there a weight limit to use the kayak during the Bioluminescent Bay Glass Bottom Kayak Tour from San Juan?
A:The weight limit for glass-bottom kayaks is 185-190 lbs (84-86 kg) per person. Height will also influence, even if not reaching the weight limit. If any guests weigh 190-260 lbs, please let us know in the "Special Requirements" box at checkout.
Do you provide life jackets on the Bioluminescent Bay Glass Bottom Kayak Tour from San Juan?
A:Yes, and the use of lifejackets is mandatory during water-related activities.
Can pregnant women participate in the Bioluminescent Bay Glass Bottom Kayak Tour from San Juan?
A:Due to safety concerns, Pregnant ladies past their first trimester are not permitted to ride.
Can I bring my children on the Bioluminescent Bay Glass Bottom Kayak Tour from San Juan?
A:Children must be 7 years or older to participate.
What is the policy on face masks and attendee health during Bioluminescent Bay Glass Bottom Kayak Tour from San Juan?
A:The policies on face masks and attendee health are:
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
What is the policy on sanitization during Bioluminescent Bay Glass Bottom Kayak Tour from San Juan?
A:The policies on sanitization are:
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
What is the social distancing policy during Bioluminescent Bay Glass Bottom Kayak Tour from San Juan?
A:The policies on social distancing are:
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
What measures are being taken to ensure staff health & safety during Bioluminescent Bay Glass Bottom Kayak Tour from San Juan?
A:The policies on staff health & safety are:
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
Compare Similar Experiences
Bioluminescent Bay Glass Bottom Kayak Tour from San Juan
5 hours 30 minutes
1 hour 30 minutes
Explore Similar Things to Do
Shore ExcursionsBus ToursNature and WildlifeWater ToursKayakingPorts of Call ToursHalf-day ToursWater SportsCruises, Sailing & Water ToursDay Trips & ExcursionsShore ExcursionsOutdoor ActivitiesTours & SightseeingSan JuanCategory
Isla Verde Tours & TicketsLa Calle Loiza Tours & TicketsPalomino Island Tours & TicketsFine Arts Miramar Tours & TicketsPaseo de la Princesa Tours & TicketsMercado de Río Piedras Tours & TicketsMuseum of Art of Puerto Rico (Museo de Arte de Puerto Rico) Tours & TicketsIcacos Island (Cayo Icacos) Tours & TicketsSan Juan National Historic Site (Sitio Histórico Nacional de San Juan) Tours & TicketsPonce Tours & TicketsRio Camuy Cave Park (Parque Nacional de las Cavernas del Río Camuy) Tours & TicketsLuis A. Ferré Performing Arts Center (Centro de Bellas Artes Luis A. Ferré) Tours & TicketsCastillo San Felipe del Morro Tours & TicketsMuseum of the Americas (Museo de las Américas) Tours & TicketsCastillo San Cristobal Tours & TicketsBacardi Rum Factory (Casa Bacardi) Tours & TicketsPine Grove Beach Tours & TicketsMuseum of History, Anthropology and Art (Museo de Historia, Antropología y Arte) Tours & TicketsLuquillo Beach Tours & TicketsSan Juan Cathedral (Catedral de San Juan Bautista) Tours & Tickets