- See southern Iceland's natural beauty
- Visit Hjalparfoss waterfall and admire Landmannalauger's colorful mountains
- Relax in a natural pool and see the Hekla volcano
- Round-trip transportation by coach from central Reykjavik
Departure & Return
Bus stop 6 - Safnahúsið / Culture House
Please arrive 30 minutes before your selected start time for pickup. Your operator can coordinate exact time and location.
What To Expect
Venture into the region known as the Highlands of Iceland — an area of blackened rocky deserts, volcanoes, ice caps, hot springs and weather-beaten mountain peaks. Then, admire the scenery as you head into the Landmannalauger area: a geothermal region in the Fjallabak Nature Reserve sometimes known as the ‘The Pearl of the Central Highlands.’
Ogle the multicolored rocky mountains as you venture on an easy hike through the Pjorsardalur Valley, and learn how the different colors have been formed by centuries of volcanic eruptions. Stop to view the double cascades of the Hjalparfoss waterfall, and hear how the vegetation around the fall made it a vital watering stop for early Icelandic travelers and their horses.
Then, take a break at one of Landmannalauger’s natural geothermal pools. If you wish, take a dip in the soothing, hot waters and lie back to absorb the idyllic backdrop of jagged mountains and dark lava fields.
Back aboard your coach, drive west to see Iceland's most active and famous volcano, Hekla. Hear how it was once believed to be an entrance to hell, and how its eruptions through the centuries have coated the landscapes in thick layers of pumice and ash.
Later, cross the scenic Hellisheidi plateau, passing through wild, open heathlands on your drive back to Reykjavik, where your tour ends with a hotel drop-off.
Please note: this tour operates from June to September only
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- The supplier reserves the right to amend or cancel the itinerary if weather is not permitting
- It is recommended to wear hiking boots on the tour, and passengers should bring a towel and swimsuit if they want to bathe in the hot pool
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 99 travelers
- OPERATED BY Gray Line Iceland
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms