Zrinjevac Park (Nikola Subic Zrinski Square)
Many walking tours of Zagreb include a visit to Zrinjevac Park and cover its history: an old livestock marketplace, now park, that’s dedicated to the 16th-century Croatian military hero Nikola Šubic Zrinski. It’s a natural place to rest a bit before heading out to explore more of the city center. The park is especially festive during the winter months; in fact, it’s a highlight of many organized Christmas Advent tours.
Things to Know Before You Go
A perfect place to relax after a day touring Zagreb.
Regular concerts take place in the music pavilion—check to see what’s scheduled during your visit.
Make sure to carry cash for purchasing refreshments or goods from the artisan booths in the park.
Don’t miss the working meteorological column in the northern end of the park.
How to Get There
Zrinjevac Park is just a short walk from the main square and easily reachable by tram from anywhere in the city. Trams 6 and 13 will get you closest to the park if you get off at the Zrinjevac station; or, take any tram to the main square and make the short walk to Zrinjevac Park.
When to Get There
Zrinjevac Park is open to the public year-round. The sprawling plane trees provide plenty of shade during the summer months and are beautifully decorated with twinkling lights during the Advent season. In fact, winter may indeed be the best time to visit—that’s when you’ll find local artisans selling Christmas ornaments and handcrafted souvenirs. You can also enjoy live holiday music in the pavillion and sample seasonal snacks like strudel.
Festivals and Events in Zrinjevac Park
In addition to the popular winter Advent festivities, Zrinjevac Park hosts a range of special events. You can catch classical, jazz, rock, and pop concerts, plus the occasional stand-up comedian or literary talk, at the music pavilion. The park also sponsors morning yoga and meditation classes, as well as other Croatian activities.
- Things to do in Plitvice Lakes National Park
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Graz
- Things to do in Bled
- Things to do in Trieste
- Things to do in Koper
- Things to do in Piran
- Things to do in Split
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Budapest
- Things to do in Central Croatia
- Things to do in Friuli-Venezia Giulia
- Things to do in Istria
- Lower Town (Donji Grad)
- Ban Jelacic Square (Trg Bana Jelacica)
- Zagreb 360 Observation Deck (Zagreb Eye)
- Art Pavilion
- Dolac Market
- Zagreb Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- King Tomislav Square (Trg Kralja Tomislava)
- Strossmayer Promenade (Strossmayerovo Setaliste)
- Museum of Broken Relationships (Muzej Prekinutih Veza)
- Croatian National Theatre (HNK Zagreb)
- Stone Gate (Kamenita Vrata)
- Lotrscak Tower
- Croatian Museum of Naive Art (Hrvatski Muzej Naivne Umjetnosti)
- Upper Town (Gornji Grad)
- St. Mark's Church (Crkva Svetog Marka)