One of Zagreb’s oldest structures, Lotrščak Tower was built into the defense walls of the medieval settlement of Gradec, which was gradually absorbed into present-day Zagreb. The tower has been extended upwards over the centuries and today is a popular tourist attraction known for having some of the best views in the city. The walk up the 5-story spiral staircase is not for the faint of heart, but those who make the trek are rewarded with true panoramic views over both Upper Town and Lower Town, plus a glimpse of Croatian artwork exhibited on the lower floors. Every day at noon, the historic Grič Cannon is fired from the tower to commemorate its past use as a defense post.
Things to know before you go
- Look out for the informational placards about the tower's history as you climb to the top.
- The cannon shot fired at noon each day is quite loud and may be startling for some visitors.
- Stairways are narrow and can get crowded, so the climb up may not be suitable for visitors with claustrophobia.
- The tower is not wheelchair accessible or stroller friendly.
How to get there
The best way to reach the tower is to take the world's shortest funicular from Tomićeva Street up to Gornji Grad (Upper Town). The tower is just steps away to the right.
When to get there
Hearing the cannon shot at noon is a highlight for many visitors, although this is also the most crowded time.
- Things to do in Plitvice Lakes National Park
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Graz
- Things to do in Bled
- Things to do in Trieste
- Things to do in Koper
- Things to do in Piran
- Things to do in Split
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Budapest
- Things to do in Central Croatia
- Things to do in Friuli-Venezia Giulia
- Things to do in Istria
- Strossmayer Promenade (Strossmayerovo Setaliste)
- Museum of Broken Relationships (Muzej Prekinutih Veza)
- Croatian Museum of Naive Art (Hrvatski Muzej Naivne Umjetnosti)
- Upper Town (Gornji Grad)
- St. Mark's Church (Crkva Svetog Marka)
- Stone Gate (Kamenita Vrata)
- Zagreb 360 Observation Deck (Zagreb Eye)
- Dolac Market
- Ban Jelacic Square (Trg Bana Jelacica)
- Lower Town (Donji Grad)
- Museum of Illusions
- Croatian National Theatre (HNK Zagreb)
- Zagreb Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- Zrinjevac Park (Nikola Subic Zrinski Square)
- Mimara Museum (Muzej Mimara)