Jarun Lake features activities for the whole family. Young children will enjoy splashing in the shallow waters of the lake and exploring the many beachside playgrounds. Water sports enthusiasts can canoe, windsurf, stand-up paddleboard, and more. You can also take a stroll along the lakeside paths or simply sunbathe along the shore. In the evening, Jarun turns into a nightlight hotspot with some of Zagreb’s most popular dance clubs and bars.
Things to Know Before You Go
Visiting the lake is free, but you must pay for parking if you’re driving.
Lifeguards dot the length of the beach, making it a safe spot to swim.
Beware that the south beach is a naturist beach: clothing is optional.
Food and drink are available at the many beachside cafés.
How to Get There
Located in the southwest corner of Zagreb, Lake Jarun is easily reached from the city center. Simply take tram number 5 or 17 to the Jarun stop, then follow the signs to the lake. You can also visit Lake Jarun by car or bike or visit as part of a hop-on hop-off tour of Zagreb.
When to Get There
Lake Jarun can be visited year round, but summer is best for swimming and water sports such such as canoeing and windsurfing. You can enjoy a jog or cycle around the lakeside path anytime of the year. Most bars and cafes are only open during the warmer months, so winter is an especially peaceful time to visit; plus, it’s a great time to view swans, ducks, and other birds.
Swimming in Jarun Lake
Jarun is comprised of two connected lakes: the Large Lake, marked off for rowing, kayaking, and canoeing competitions, and the Small Lake, which is intended for swimming. Life guards are found along the beach, and showers and changing areas are also available. Each beach also features its own sports courts, playgrounds, and other recreation opportunities.
- Things to do in Plitvice Lakes National Park
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Graz
- Things to do in Bled
- Things to do in Trieste
- Things to do in Koper
- Things to do in Piran
- Things to do in Split
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Budapest
- Things to do in Central Croatia
- Things to do in Friuli-Venezia Giulia
- Things to do in Istria
- Zagreb Botanical Garden
- Mimara Museum (Muzej Mimara)
- Zagreb Museum of Contemporary Art (Muzej Suvremene Umjetnosti)
- Croatian National Theatre (HNK Zagreb)
- Museum of Illusions
- King Tomislav Square (Trg Kralja Tomislava)
- Bundek City Park (Gradski Park Bundek)
- Art Pavilion
- Lotrscak Tower
- Strossmayer Promenade (Strossmayerovo Setaliste)
- Museum of Broken Relationships (Muzej Prekinutih Veza)
- Zagreb 360 Observation Deck (Zagreb Eye)
- Croatian Museum of Naive Art (Hrvatski Muzej Naivne Umjetnosti)
- Zrinjevac Park (Nikola Subic Zrinski Square)
- Upper Town (Gornji Grad)