Upper Town (Gornji Grad)
Situated on a hilltop overlooking the city, Upper Town is best explored on foot. Take a guided walking tour of the centuries-old streets to learn about Zagreb’s medieval history and hear the stories behind the famous Bloody Bridge and the Stone Gate. Don’t miss a visit to St. Mark’s Church, easily recognized by its colorful tiled roof depicting the Croatian, Dalmatian, and Slavonian coats of arms and the Zagreb city emblem.
Things to Know Before You Go
Upper Town is a must-see for first-time visitors to the city.
Wear comfortable walking shoes, as Upper Town’s streets are cobbled and can be uneven.
If traveling with kids, a ride on the Zagreb Funicular is a must.
For a unique experience, visit the Museum of Broken Relationships.
How to Get There
There are several ways to get to Upper Town. The most fun way is to take a ride on the Zagreb Funicular, a cobalt-blue cog railway that whisks travelers up the hill from Lower Town (Donji Grad) in just over a minute. You can also take a bus, tram, or taxi or walk to Upper Town from lower Zagreb.
When to Get There
Upper Town can be visited year-round. Summer, with pleasant and reliable weather and street festivals and activities galore, is by far the most popular time to visit. Zagreb is also fantastic to visit in winter and boasts one of the best Advent scenes in Europe. With winter markets, festivals, and millions of twinkling lights, the capital in an unforgettable place to spend the holiday season.
The Grič Cannon
Among Zagreb’s unique traditions is the Grič Cannon, which is fired each day at noon from the Lotrščak Tower near the top of the funicular. For a small admission, you can climb to the top of the tower and enjoy one of the best views in the city.
- Things to do in Plitvice Lakes National Park
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Graz
- Things to do in Bled
- Things to do in Trieste
- Things to do in Koper
- Things to do in Piran
- Things to do in Split
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Budapest
- Things to do in Central Croatia
- Things to do in Friuli-Venezia Giulia
- Things to do in Istria
- Croatian Museum of Naive Art (Hrvatski Muzej Naivne Umjetnosti)
- St. Mark's Church (Crkva Svetog Marka)
- Museum of Broken Relationships (Muzej Prekinutih Veza)
- Stone Gate (Kamenita Vrata)
- Strossmayer Promenade (Strossmayerovo Setaliste)
- Lotrscak Tower
- Dolac Market
- Zagreb 360 Observation Deck (Zagreb Eye)
- Ban Jelacic Square (Trg Bana Jelacica)
- Lower Town (Donji Grad)
- Zagreb Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- Museum of Illusions
- Zrinjevac Park (Nikola Subic Zrinski Square)
- Croatian National Theatre (HNK Zagreb)
- Mimara Museum (Muzej Mimara)