At an elevation of 4,554 feet (1,388 meters), Abetone is the highest peak in Tuscany. In winter, skiers enjoy 22 ski lifts serving 31 miles (50 kilometers) of slopes suitable for all levels of skiing and snowboarding expertise, as well as pristine areas for cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, and snow hiking. In warmer months, travelers enjoy fishing and downhill mountain biking at the “Gravity Park” as well as indoor sporting activities like bowling, tennis, soccer, and swimming.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Suitable for solo travelers, couples, and families; sports and fitness lovers of all kinds.
- Tour may include guide, round trip hotel transport, and equipment rentals.
- Check specific tours for details.
- Day trips from Florence and other parts in Tuscany can easily be arranged.
How to Get There
Abetone is about 50 miles (80 kilometers) northwest of Florence and 42 miles (67.5 kilometers) inland (as the crow flies) from the Ligurian coast. From Florence the fastest driving route is along A11 to SR66, which should take about two hours. There are no direct trains from Florence to Abetone, so take a regional train to Pistoia and switch to a local; travel time should be about two and one half hours.
When to Get There
The untouched natural beauty makes Abetone a popular destination year-round, with winters and summers being the most popular times. To beat the crowds and the high prices of the summer, visit the region of Tuscany during the spring or fall months when the climate is at its most temperate and pleasurable.
Puccini’s Inspiration In the summer of 1903, Giacomo Puccini rented a small villa in the quiet mountain village of Boscolungo, just down the road from Abetone. Seeking the serenity and peace of this beautiful area, the composer wrote his masterpiece, Madama Butterfly. In his honor, Abetone has erected a plaque honoring his connection to the area and holds a musical evening called “Puccini and His Mountains” every summer.
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in Chianti
- Things to do in Livorno
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Emilia-Romagna
- Things to do in Piedmont & Liguria
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Assisi
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Veneto
- Things to do in Lombardy
- Devil's Bridge (Ponte del Diavolo or Ponte della Maddalena)
- Pinocchio Park (Parco di Pinocchio)
- Villa Garzoni Garden (Storico Giardino Garzoni)
- Via Fillungo
- Piazza dell'Anfiteatro
- Guinigi Tower (Torre Guinigi)
- Lucca Clock Tower (Torre delle Ore)
- Church of San Michele in Foro (Chiesa di San Michele in Foro)
- Puccini Museum
- Puccini e la sua Lucca International Permanent Festival
- Lucca Cathedral (Duomo di Lucca)
- Cathedral Museum Complex (Complesso Museale e Archeologico della Cattedrale di Lucca)
- Forte dei Marmi
- Leonardo da Vinci Museum (Museo Leonardiano di Vinci)
- Barberino Designer Outlet