Mission Nombre de Dios
It is believed that the Mission Nombre de Dios of St Augustine, Florida - the oldest city in the continental United States - may be the first mission established in America. The Franciscan mission dates back to 1587 when it served nearby villages and was a center of chiefdom in the area. Today it is a well-recognized spiritual site and a large part of the history of St. Augustine (its church is also recognized as the oldest in the United States.)
A visit to the small, ivy-covered stone church is often a peaceful, spiritual refuge. A massive steel cross stands 208 feet tall beside wide walkways and manicured gardens. The shrine dedicated to ‘Our Lady of Le Leche’ dates back to the 1600s when it was built by Spanish settlers. There’s also a historic graveyard and Mission museum containing artifacts and documents found during the original excavation of the grounds. The entire site remains a pilgrimage site for many, and an important part of early U.S. history.
Tours and tickets to Experience Mission Nombre de Dios
What are Mission Nombre de Dios hours of operation?
Should I book Mission Nombre de Dios tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Mission Nombre de Dios 2021?
What's the best way to experience Mission Nombre de Dios?
- St. Augustine Hop-On Hop-Off Trolley Tour
- Day Cruisin' Tour - Old Town Cycle Cruise
- Wine Tasting Cruise in St. Augustine
- Rhythm of the Night Tour - Old Town Cycle Cruise
Things to do near St Augustine
- Things to do in Florida
- Things to do in Jacksonville
- Things to do in Daytona Beach
- Things to do in Orlando
- Things to do in Crystal River
- Things to do in Cape Canaveral
- Things to do in Cocoa Beach
- Things to do in Tampa
- Things to do in Savannah
- Things to do in Clearwater
- Things to do in Charleston
- Things to do in Fort Myers
- Things to do in Fort Lauderdale
- Things to do in Georgia
- Things to do in South Carolina