Mercado de Río Piedras
Do as the locals do, and head to San Juan’s premier everything market. Both covered and air-conditioned, the market is a pleasant experience no matter the weather. While you can find nearly every category of product here, the highlights are the fresh fruits. Stalls are packed with bananas, pineapples, mangoes, coconuts, and limes as well as exotic local fruits such as citrus chironja, dark green soursops, and star apples.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Mercado de Río Piedras is an ideal spot for shoppers and foodies.
- The plaza of the market often hosts festivals and concerts.
- Try the tree bark infused local drink called Mavi.
- The market is wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
Mercado Río Piedras is located on Avenida José de Diego, in the heart of the colorful Río Piedras district, where the University of Puerto Rico is. Take the Tren Urbano rapid transit system to Río Piedras station or the Line E10 bus to Sagrado Corazon and follow your nose.
When to Get There
The market is open from the morning until evening every day except Sundays. The market and the shops in the vicinity are open from morning until late evening. Visit in the early hours to avoid the crowds. In the evenings, walk over to the Rio Piedras Plaza for live music and dancing.
Museum of Zoology Combine a visit to the market with a deep dive into the local fauna at the Museo de Zoologia. Founded in the 1960s, the museum houses a huge collection of reptiles, arachnids, amphibians, marine mammals, and mollusks from Puerto Rico and the wider Caribbean. With over 60,000 species, the museum is developing a new research centre for Caribbean biogeography.
- Museum of History, Anthropology and Art (Museo de Historia, Antropología y Arte)
- La Calle Loiza
- Luis A. Ferré Performing Arts Center (Centro de Bellas Artes Luis A. Ferré)
- Museum of Art of Puerto Rico (Museo de Arte de Puerto Rico)
- San Juan Bay
- Pine Grove Beach
- Isla Verde
- Fine Arts Miramar
- Old San Juan Piers
- Paseo de la Princesa
- La Fortaleza (The Fortress)
- Castillo San Cristobal
- Chapel of Christ (Capilla del Cristo)
- San Juan Cathedral (Catedral de San Juan Bautista)
- Old San Juan