Erasmusbrug (Erasmus Bridge)
The Erasmus Bridge’s angled pylon makes it a fixture on guided Rotterdam tours. Stop to view it—and learn its backstory—on a waterfront or architecture-focused walk that covers it and other city highlights such as the Cube Houses and Central Station. Alternatively, pedal across it on a bike tour or admire it on tours spot lighting spotlight other aspects of the city such as history, culture, food, or wine.
Things to know before you go
- You can cross the Erasmus by car, tram, foot, or bike.
- Vehicles and pedestrians have to wait to access the bridge when it opens for ships.
- The bridge is accessible to wheelchair users and pedestrians with strollers.
How to get there
The Erasmus links central Rotterdam’s Nieuwe Werk and Kop van Zuid neighborhoods and is easy to visit via public transit. The closest subway, bus, and tram stop is Wilhelminaplein on the river’s south bank, with Leuvehaven the nearest subway station in the north. Drivers can reach the Erasmus from Rotterdam’s Central Station via the Westersingel and Vasteland (S100), and use payable parking garages near the bridge’s north end.
When to get there
Avoid weekday rush hours, when the Erasmus Bridge is busy with traffic. To enjoy its Rotterdam skyline views at their best, visit at sunrise, during the early-afternoon, or after dark, when the bridge and city are beautifully lit-up. The bridge looks particularly impressive when it opens for ships, and serves as the backdrop for festivals and fireworks—check Rotterdam’s event calendar for dates.
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Cambridge
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Flanders
- Things to do in North Holland
- Kop van Zuid
- Netherlands Photo Museum (Nederlands Fotomuseum)
- Kunsthal Rotterdam (Art Hall Rotterdam)
- Maritime Museum Rotterdam
- Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen
- Rotterdam Old Harbor (Oude Haven)
- Markthal (Market Hall)
- Cube Houses (Kubuswoningen)
- Church of St. Lawrence (Sint Laurenskerk)
- Rotterdam Zoo (Diergaarde Blijdorp)
- SS Rotterdam
- Rotterdam City Hall (Stadhuis)
- Miniworld Rotterdam
- Rotterdam Central Station (Rotterdam Centraal)