Rio Art Museum (Museu de Arte do Rio)
The museum’s striking architecture includes a colonial mansion connected to what was once a parking garage, and each structure contains artwork with a different focus. In both buildings, visitors can explore six floors of permanent and temporary exhibitions, which include paintings, sculptures, photography, and installation art pieces. Don’t forget to visit the rooftop terrace for a view over the waterfront.
Things to Know Before You Go
Most of the museum’s exhibitions are in Portuguese only.
Large bags and luggage are not allowed inside the museum; a free bag check is available.
There is a restaurant, café, and gift shop at the museum.
The museum is wheelchair-accessible.
How to Get There
The Rio Art Museum is located at Porto Maravilha in the Gamboa neighborhood, 1.2 miles (2 kilometers) north of downtown Rio. To reach the museum from downtown, take the subway to the Uruguaiana stop, a 10-minute walk away.
When to Get There
The museum is open Monday to Sunday from midmorning to late afternoon, with extended hours on Tuesday evenings. Budget travelers should visit on a Tuesday, when admission is free to everyone, although it can get busy in the evening.
Rio’s Art Museums
Rio has a wealth of museums that art lovers should add to their list. The National Museum of Fine Art (Museu Nacional de Belas Arte, or MNBA) houses Brazilian artworks dating back to medieval times; the Rio Modern Art Museum (Museu de Arte Moderna do Rio de Janeiro, or MAM) is housed in an imposing building in Flamengo Park and features works by Miró, Salvador Dalí, and Max Ernst; and the Municipal Art Center Hélio Oiticica (Centro Municipal de Arte Hélio Oiticica) is devoted to the works of one of Brazil’s most unique visual artists. Other options include the International Museum of Naive Art of Brazil (Museu Internacional de Arte Naif do Brasil), the LURIXS Contemporary Art Gallery, and the nearby Niterói Contemporary Art Museum (Museu de Arte Contemporânea de Niterói).
- Things to do in Southeast Brazil
- Things to do in Santos
- Things to do in Belo Horizonte
- Things to do in Sao Paulo
- Things to do in Northeast Brazil
- Things to do in The Pampas
- Things to do in Northwest Argentina
- Things to do in Altiplano
- Things to do in Amazon
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in Patagonia
- Museum of Tomorrow (Museu do Amanha)
- Sao Bento Monastery (Mosteiro de Sao Bento)
- La Candelaria Church (Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria)
- Post Office Cultural Center (Centro Cultural Correios)
- Casa Franca-Brasil
- Bank of Brazil Cultural Center (Centro Cultural Banco do Brasil)
- Saara Shopping District (Polo Saara)
- Praca Quinze de Novembro
- Tiradentes Palace (Palácio Tiradentes)
- AquaRio Aquarium
- Sao Francisco da Penitencia Church (Igreja Sao Francisco da Penitencia)
- Rio Scenarium
- Rio de Janeiro National Fine Arts Museum (Museu Nacional de Belas Artes)
- Santa Teresa (Barrio Santa Teresa)
- Rio de Janeiro Cathedral (Catedral Metropolitana de Sao Sebastiao)