Visit the aquarium to see nurse sharks, sand tiger sharks, and reef sharks in the shark tunnel; learn all about phytoplankton at the Plankton Station; and spot octopus, stingrays, sea snakes, jellyfish, and more. There’s also a surf museum, an exhibition of sea shells, a virtual aquarium where you can learn more about the different marine animals, and touch pools, where you interact with starfish and seahorses under the supervision of the aquarium staff.
Things to Know Before You Go
There are three restaurants and a gift shop on-site.
There is paid parking next to the aquarium.
Plan up to two hours to visit the aquarium.
The aquarium is wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
The aquarium is located at Porto Maravilha in the Gamboa neighbourhood, around 1.2 miles (two kilometers) north of downtown Rio. To reach the aquarium from downtown, take the VLT (Line 1) to the Utopia Aquario stop, a 5-minute walk away.
When to Get There
The aquarium is open daily from morning until early evening, with last entrance an hour before closing. It can get busy on weekends and holidays, when booking skip-the-line or early-access tickets is especially recommended.
The AquaRio aquarium is part of the Porto Maravilha waterfront, Rio’s old port area which was completely renovated as part of the city’s Olympic preparations in 2016—Brazil’s largest urban renewal project. Today, many of the old shipping warehouses have been transformed into event venues and adorned with colorful street art; scenic walking and cycle paths run along the seafront; and attractions include the Rio Art Museum and the Museum of Tomorrow.
- Things to do in Southeast Brazil
- Things to do in Santos
- Things to do in Belo Horizonte
- Things to do in Sao Paulo
- Things to do in Northeast Brazil
- Things to do in The Pampas
- Things to do in Northwest Argentina
- Things to do in Altiplano
- Things to do in Amazon
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in Patagonia
- Samba City (Cidade do Samba)
- Rio Art Museum (Museu de Arte do Rio)
- Museum of Tomorrow (Museu do Amanha)
- Sao Bento Monastery (Mosteiro de Sao Bento)
- Saara Shopping District (Polo Saara)
- Sambadrome (Sambadrome Marques de Sapucaí)
- La Candelaria Church (Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria)
- Post Office Cultural Center (Centro Cultural Correios)
- Bank of Brazil Cultural Center (Centro Cultural Banco do Brasil)
- Rio Scenarium
- Casa Franca-Brasil
- Rio de Janeiro Cruise Port (Terminal Internacional de Cruzeiros)
- Sao Francisco da Penitencia Church (Igreja Sao Francisco da Penitencia)
- Tiradentes Palace (Palácio Tiradentes)
- Praca Quinze de Novembro