Experience the natural beauty of Iceland during a visit to Videy Island. It’s easy to get to and only a short boat ride from Reykjavik. In addition to the walking and biking trails, there’s a restaurant located in Videyjarstofa House (the first stone and cement building in Iceland, dating back to 1755). Several guided walking tours offer insight into the island’s history, nature, and contemporary art.
Things to know before you go
- Videy Island is a must-see attraction for history buffs, nature enthusiasts, and adventurous travelers seeking the outdoors near Reykjavik.
- The ferry has limited available space; book tickets in advance during the peak summer season.
- A significant portion of Videy Island is wheelchair- and stroller-accessible.
How to get there
The most popular time of year to visit Videy Island and Reykjavik, in general, is during the summer months. Music and art fans come to see the Imagine Peace Tower memorial to John Lennon when it is lit from October through early December.
When to get there
The ferry to Videy Island usually runs year-round—with limited hours from October to mid-May, and extended hours from mid-May through September. Local ferry service runs between Skarfabakki/Sundahofn Harbour and Videy Island; the journey takes about 20 minutes. The #5 bus connects Reykjavik to Sundahofn Harbour.
Beyond nature and history, travelers also visit Videy Island for its contemporary art. The island is home to the Imagine Peace Tower memorial, built for John Lennon by Yoko Ono and Sean Lennon. Since 2007, a large laser beams into the night sky from October 9th (Lennon’s birthday) to December 8th (the date of Lennon’s assassination) each year.
- Faxaflói Bay
- Imagine Peace Tower
- Sun Voyager (Solfar)
- Hofdi House
- Harpa (Reykjavik Concert Hall and Conference Centre)
- Hallgrim's Church (Hallgrímskirkja)
- Thrihnukagigur Volcano
- Reykjavík Art Museum Hafnarhús
- Volcano House
- National Gallery of Iceland
- Whales of Iceland
- Skarfabakki Cruise Terminal
- Aurora Reykjavik (Northern Lights Center)