Phnom Penh Central Market (Phsar Thmey)
Travelers looking to return home with enviable souvenirs can visit Central Market as part of a private Phnom Penh market tour, which helps visitors overcome the language barrier and visit places that sell unusual local fare. If you’re looking for a more flexible itinerary, a hop-on hop-off bus tour, which stops at Central Market, provides a great way for first-time visitors to orient themselves in the bustling capital city.
Things to Know Before You Go
The market is open daily from early morning until late afternoon.
It’s a great way to immerse yourself in local Khmer culture.
During rainy season, the market is prone to flooding; try to visit during dry season if you can.
Prepare to barter for goods; many vendors offer tourists much higher prices.
How to Get There
Central Market is located at the intersection of Kampuchea Krom Street and 63 Street in Daun Penh District. Visitors can hire cars and motor taxis from the stand in the northwest corner of the market, or hop a bus at the station in the southwest corner.
When to Get There
Regardless of what time you visit the market, expect large crowds and plenty of hustle and bustle. First-time visitors often find the market slightly overwhelming, but visiting with a guide will help you keep your bearings and find the best stalls.
Stalls to Search for at Central Market
For photographers, the fresh food section ofthe market provides a wealth of opportunities; vibrant fruits, such as mango, papaya, and dragon fruit sit beside exotic vegetables and dried, medicinal herbs. If you’re looking to purchase jewelry, you can pick up items made from gold, silver, and jade in the market interior.
- Things to do in Krong Kaeb
- Things to do in Sihanoukville
- Things to do in Can Tho
- Things to do in Ho Chi Minh City
- Things to do in Angkor Wat
- Things to do in Siem Reap
- Things to do in Ko Chang
- Things to do in Pattaya
- Things to do in Nha Trang
- Things to do in Bangkok
- Things to do in Hua Hin
- Things to do in Ko Pha Ngan
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in Mekong Delta
- Things to do in Southern Vietnam
- Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum (S-21)
- Phnom Penh Russian Market (Toul Tom Poung Market)
- Phnom Penh Independence Monument
- Cambodia-Vietnam Friendship Monument
- Royal Palace
- Silver Pagoda (Wat Preah Keo)
- National Museum of Cambodia
- Wat Ounalom
- Kandal Market (Phsar Kandal)
- Sisowath Quay
- Choeung Ek Genocidal Center (Choeung Ek Killing Fields)
- Wat Phnom
- Silk Island (Koh Dach)
- Phnom Tamao Wildlife Rescue Center (PTWRC)