See water falling over canyons, beautiful gorges, birds of paradise, and more than 300 varieties of fern. Along the way, visitors can stop to haggle with roadside vendors over handicrafts, and maybe even spot local legend Fern Man, who wears a robe made of ferns. With the help of a local guide, discover hundreds of different species of vegetation during an easygoing hike through the gully.
Travelers may visit Fern Gully as part of a half- or full-day private or group tour, departing from Ocho Rios, Negril, Montego Bay, or Runaway Bay. Tours visit highlights of each departure town, and incorporate activities such as shopping, visits to natural wonders such as Konoko Falls and Park, or hiking and swimming at Dunn’s River Falls.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Suitable for nature-loving solo travelers, couples, and families.
- Many tours are wheelchair-friendly.
- Tote a swimsuit and towel if your tour stops at Dunn’s River Falls or a beach destination.xa0Water shoes, a change of clothes, and a spare bag for wet clothing are also handy.
- Remember sun protection, including sunscreen and a hat.
How to Get There
Fern Gully is a 3-mile-long (4.8-kilometer) stretch of road running south from Ocho Rios to Colgate. Tours include round-trip transport from your hotel.
When to Get There
Fern Gully is open all day, year-round. The best time to go is during daylight hours, to see the walls of lush green tropical plants in their full glory.
Dunn’s River Falls At Dunn’s River Falls—4.3 miles (7 kilometers) from Fern Gully—climb to the top of the terraced cascade for views of the surrounding countryside. Between sites, you can stop for lunch at a Jamaican jerk restaurant or shop for handicrafts and souvenirs.
- Things to do in Runaway Bay
- Things to do in Kingston
- Things to do in Trelawny
- Things to do in Falmouth
- Things to do in Montego Bay
- Things to do in Black River
- Things to do in Lucea
- Things to do in Negril
- Things to do in Grand Cayman
- Things to do in Puerto Plata
- Things to do in Nassau
- Things to do in Santo Domingo
- Things to do in New Providence Island
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Things to do in Grand Bahama Island