Falaise Memorial (Mémorial de Falaise)
The Falaise Memorial paints a vivid picture of life during one of the most difficult times in Normany’s history. The museum’s three floors showcase a moving, sobering array of objects, interactive exhibitions, and recordings that reveal what life was like for French citizens living under Nazi occupation. Exhibits include everything from the ruins of a bombed house to an immersive film that transports visitors back to that dark era of history.
Pre-book single-visit tickets or a family pass online, or opt for a combination ticket and visit the museum along with other local sights.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Falaise Memorial is a popular destination for history buffs interested in WWII.
Audio guides in English, German, and Dutch are available for a small additional fee.
A bookstore and gift shop are located on the ground floor.
How to Get There
The Falaise Memorial is located in the town of Falaise in Normandy (known primarily as the birthplace of William the Conqueror). It is a roughly 3-hour drive west of Paris, and also within day-trip distance of hubs like Caen, Le Havre, and Rouen. The nearest train stations are in Caen, Flers, and Argentan.
When to Get There
The Falaise Memorial is open seasonally, from approximately early April to early November. Visiting hours and opening days vary from month to month; check schedules before visiting.
Other Nearby WWII Landmarks
After your visit to the Falaise Memorial, head to other nearby attractions, including the 1944 Radar Museum (Musée Radar 1944); the Caen Memorial Museum (Caen Mémorial), which offers exhibits about WWII, the invasion of Normandy, and the Cold War; and the Arromanches 360 Circular Cinema, which shows films about the invasion of Normandy. Combination tickets that include multiple sites are available.
- Things to do in Deauville City
- Things to do in Île-de-France
- Things to do in South East England
- Things to do in Loire Valley
- Things to do in Paris
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Southampton
- Things to do in Blois
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais
- Things to do in South West England
- Things to do in Flanders
- Things to do in East of England
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Burgundy
- La Cambe German War Cemetery
- Abbaye aux Hommes
- Abbaye aux Dames
- Caen Museum of Fine Arts (Musée des Beaux-Arts de Caen)
- Normandy Museum (Musée de Normandie)
- Caen Castle (Château de Caen)
- Caen Memorial Museum (Mémorial de Caen)
- La Colline aux Oiseaux Park (Parc de La Colline aux Oiseaux)
- Ardenne Abbey (Abbey d'Ardenne)
- Ranville War Cemetery
- Pegasus Memorial Museum (Pegasus Bridge)
- Merville Battery (Batterie de Merville)
- Pays d'Auge
- Hillman Fortress