Pozieres is a small village in rural France that was the setting of a two-week confrontation during the Battles of Somme of World War I. It is where, between March and April 1918, the German Fifth Army was driven further out into the fields of Somme by overwhelmingly large numbers of British corps that were on a mission to compromise the nearby German bastion of Thiepval. Although it technically involved the British Empire, Pozières is really an Australian battle - seeing as it involved over 23,000 corps and that the Australian flag flies over several buildings in recognition of the sacrifice of the ANZACs – even though the cemetery does not bare any Australian names; instead, Australian soldiers who fell in France and whose graves are not known are commemorated at the National Memorial at Villers-Bretonneux.
There are 2,758 Commonwealth servicemen buried or commemorated in the Pozières cemetery. As such, the memorial and cemetery comprise a stunning gateway building with open colonnade walkways, making way to the remains of a blockhouse named "Gibraltar" which was a three-meter-high blockhouse-observation point. It also contains the Tank Memorial, with four small-scale models of the tanks used by the British between 1916 and 1918 – the first army to use tanks.
Tours and tickets to Experience Pozieres
Should I book Pozieres tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Pozieres 2021?
What's the best way to experience Pozieres?
- 2day Australian WW1 battlefield tour in Flanders the Somme from Lille and Arras
- 3 days on Australian WW1 battlefields starting from Ypres or Lille
- Australian and New Zealand Battlefield Day Tour in the Somme from Lille or Arras
Things to do near Nord-Pas de Calais
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Flanders
- Things to do in Champagne
- Things to do in Île-de-France
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Ghent
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Dover
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Normandy
- Things to do in South East England
- Things to do in East of England
- Things to do in North Holland
- Things to do in Rhine River