Pheasant Wood Military Cemetery
Just outside the Belgian border with France stands a First World War cemetery built by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission containing the graves of 250 British and Australian soldiers who died on July 19, 1916, in the Battle of Fromelles - a diversionary battle, which only occured in order to draw the attention of the Germans away from the larger attacks elsewhere in Somme. It involved units of the Australian 5th Division and the British 61st Division, but alas, the Germans were well-prepared and the British Empire troops suffered great losses.
Dating back from just 2009, Pheasant Wood Military Cemetery was the first new Commonwealth War Graves Commission cemetery to be built in commemoration of World War I in over 50 years; the last such cemeteries having mostly been in remembrance of the Second World War. The reason for this somewhat unusual delay is that analysis of historical aerial photographs showed the presence of mass graves on the edge of Pheasant Wood, which were confirmed after excavation works in 2008. Over 250 British and Australian bodies from five mass graves and some 6,200 individual artifacts have since been successfully identified using DNA analysis.
Tours and tickets to Experience Pheasant Wood Military Cemetery
Should I book Pheasant Wood Military Cemetery tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Pheasant Wood Military Cemetery 2021?
What's the best way to experience Pheasant Wood Military Cemetery?
- Australian Battlefields Private Tour in Flanders and Fromelles from Arras
- Australian Battlefields Private Tour in Fromelles and Flanders from Lille
- 3 days on Australian WW1 battlefields starting from Ypres or Lille
- Fromelles and Ypres Day Tour from Arras and Lille
Things to do near Nord-Pas de Calais
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Flanders
- Things to do in Champagne
- Things to do in Île-de-France
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Ghent
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Dover
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Normandy
- Things to do in South East England
- Things to do in East of England
- Things to do in North Holland
- Things to do in Rhine River