Visitors to Gasteig find a place to nurture a love of the arts. Plan ahead and book tickets to experience a performance by Munich’s philharmonic orchestra, or to see a theater or dance performance. See everything from lectures to films to opera. Some local tours include Gasteig on their itineraries.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Gasteig is suitable for lovers of classical music, theater, and dance.
Admission to the center itself is free; ticket prices vary for events.
The event complex is wheelchair-friendly.
The on-site bar and bistro are open before or after an event for a drink and light meal.
How to Get There
Located in central Munich on Rosenheimer Straße, Gasteig is easily accessible by taxi or car. Parking is available on-site for those who self-drive. Via public transportation, take any train from Hauptbahnhof (Central Station) directly to the venue; expect about a 7-minute ride. Bicycle racks are also available.
When to Get There
Gasteig is open daily. Check schedules for timing on programmed events. Beat the crowds and enjoy temperate weather by visiting Munich from March to May and from September to November. The month-long festivities of Oktoberfest are a huge draw.
Loitering is Nice
The philharmonic hall's wood-paneled shell structure showcases mainly instrumental and vocal performance, while smaller theaters offer theater and dance. Even if you don’t have tickets to an event, the Gasteig cultural center is a nice place to pass time as it attracts about 6,000 visitors a day. Have a coffee or glass of wine at the cafe and enjoy free people-watching in the foyer.
- Things to do in Bavaria
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Davos
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Strasbourg
- Things to do in Austrian Alps
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Deutsches Museum
- Beer and Oktoberfest Museum
- Hard Rock Cafe Munich
- Victuals Market (Viktualienmarkt)
- Munich Old Town Hall (Altes Rathaus)
- Munich Toy Museum (Spielzeugmuseum)
- St. Peter's Church (Peterskirche)
- Bavarian State Opera (Bayerische Staatsoper)
- Eisbach Wave (Eisbachwelle)
- Munich Residence (Residenz München)
- Jewish Museum (Jüdisches Museum)
- House of the Arts (Haus der Kunst)
- Cathedral of Our Blessed Lady (Frauenkirche)