Macroplaza (La Gran Plaza)
You can easily explore Monterrey’s pedestrianized Macroplaza, sometimes known as the Gran Plaza, on foot in an afternoon. While most Monterrey city tours—including local-led options and small-group excursions—pass through the Macroplaza, make time to explore independently. History buffs won’t want to miss the Palacio del Gobierno or Metropolitan Cathedral, while art fans will appreciate the nearby Contemporary Art Museum (MARCO).
Things to Know Before You Go
Culture fans won’t want to miss the Macroplaza, which is full of notable monuments and historical attractions.
There are often street performers and vendors selling snacks and drinks.
There is limited shade on the Macroplaza so plan your visit accordingly.
The Macroplaza is fully wheelchair accessible although the monuments, museums, and buildings situated on and around the plaza may not be.
How to Get There
Monterrey’s Macroplaza is situated in downtown Monterrey and stretches from Padre Mier Street in the south to Cinco de Mayo Street in the north. Given its location in downtown Monterrey, most travelers find it easiest to access the Macroplaza on foot, although it’s also well-connected via public transit. The closest Metrorrey station is Zaragoza, which is situated at the center of the Macroplaza.
When to Get There
Visit the Macroplaza during the day in order to take full advantage of the numerous buildings, museums, and attractions that are situated on and around the square. In the sweltering summer months, stop by in the morning or afternoon to avoid the worst of the midday heat and don’t miss the Faro del Comercio’s nightly laser shows.
What to Do in Monterrey
Despite being better-known as a business hub, Monterrey has plenty of natural attractions too. Take a hike into the surrounding mountains at the Chipinque Ecological Park or visit the city’s expansive Fundidora Park, which is full of museums, concert venues, and bike paths. Alternatively, take a day trip to the nearby "magic town" of Santiago and La Boca Dam.
- Things to do in South Padre Island
- Things to do in San Antonio
- Things to do in Houston
- Things to do in Galveston
- Things to do in Mexico City
- Things to do in Puerto Vallarta
- Things to do in Taxco
- Things to do in Dallas
- Things to do in Acapulco
- Things to do in San Jose del Cabo
- Things to do in Texas
- Things to do in Jalisco
- Things to do in Central Mexico
- Things to do in Guerrero
- Barrio Antiguo (Old Town)
- St. Lucia Riverwalk (Paseo Santa Lucia)
- Fundidora Park
- Calle Morelos
- Glass Museum (Museo del Vidrio)
- Sesamo Park Plaza (Parque Plaza Sesamo)
- Mexican Baseball Hall of Fame (Salón de la Fama)
- Plaza Fiesta San Agustin
- Mirador del Obispado (Bishop’s Lookout)
- Metropolitan Cathedral (Catedral Metropolitana)
- Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma Brewery (Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma)
- State Museum of Popular Cultures (Museo Estatal de Culturas Populares)
- Monterrey City Hall (Palacio Municipal)
- Chipinque Ecological Park (Parque Ecológico Chipinque)
- Villa de Santiago