Angela Peralta Theater (Teatro Angela Peralta)
Not to be confused with the Mexico City amphitheater of the same name, the Angela Peralta Theater in Mazatlán was first inaugurated in 1874 and later restored and reopened in 1992. The theater is now home to a contemporary dance company, two small art galleries, and a cultural center. Admire the theater’s exterior during a guided city tour—many biking and walking tours pass by the Angela Peralta Theater—or visit independently to tour the interior or catch a show.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Angela Peralta Theater is a must for architecture and culture fans in Mazatlán.
- Dance, theater, and music performances are held there on a regular basis.
- Tickets cannot be purchased online. Visitors must go to the box office to secure their space, even for free events.
- Some parts of the Angela Peralta Theater may not be fully wheelchair or stroller accessible.
How to Get There
Situated on Carnaval Street, just off Plazuela Machado, the Angela Peralta Theater is easily accessible on foot from most points in downtown Mazatlán. There is limited parking nearby.
When to Get There
The Angela Peralta Theater box office is open Monday—Friday from 9am to 7pm, although it closes for lunch between 2pm and 4pm. On Saturdays, the box office opens from 4pm to 7pm. The onsite art galleries are open on weekdays from 9am to 6pm.
Who Was Ángela Peralta? Ángela Peralta, after whom the theater was renamed in 1943, was a Mexican soprano and musician with a turbulent past that rivals even that of her eponymous Mazatlán opera house. Born in 1845, she married her cousin, had an affair with her manager in the 1870s, and died aged 38 of yellow fever in 1883 after traveling to Mazatlán to perform at the then-Rubio Theater.
- Things to do in Sinaloa
- Things to do in Puerto Vallarta
- Things to do in Los Cabos
- Things to do in Monterrey
- Things to do in Mexico City
- Things to do in Taxco
- Things to do in Acapulco
- Things to do in South Padre Island
- Things to do in Baja California Sur
- Things to do in Jalisco
- Things to do in Guerrero
- Things to do in Central Mexico
- Things to do in Texas