Richard Wagner Museum
Tribschen Manor was Wagner’s home between 1866 and 1872, but the building itself dates from the 15th century. It’s said that Wagner’s friends Franz Liszt, Friedrich Nietzsche, Gottfried Semper, and King Ludwig II of Bavaria spent time here. Most visitors visit for a couple of hours while staying in Lucerne, but it’s also possible to stop here on a day trip from Zurich or other, more distant cities.
Things to Know Before You Go
The museum shows both permanent and rotating exhibits.
There is a kids’ playground located near the museum, by the shores of the lake.
In summer, an on-site cafe sells drinks and snacks.
The museum sometimes hosts concerts, lectures, and other events.
How to Get There
You can reach the museum on foot from central Lucerne by taking a walking trail along the lakeshore; the walk takes about 30 minutes. Alternatively, you can take buses number 6, 7, or 8 to Wartegg from the main train station in Lucerne.
When to Get There
The museum is open April 1–November 30, Tuesday–Sunday. It closes for a two-hour lunch break beginning at noon, so it’s best to time your visit for the morning or later in the afternoon.
Visit Meggenhorn Castle
After learning about Wagner’s working methods, head to the Meggenhorn Castle (Schloss Meggenhorn). Built in the late-19th century, the castle sits on a hill above the lake and looks like it sprang from the pages of a fairytale. Wander through the castle’s rooms to see how the local elite used to live, then spend some time in the surrounding gardens.
- Things to do in Central Switzerland
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Basel
- Things to do in Davos
- Things to do in Montreux
- Things to do in Lake Como
- Things to do in Ferno
- Things to do in Strasbourg
- Things to do in Milan
- Things to do in Geneva
- Things to do in Annecy
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Swiss Alps
- Things to do in Lake Geneva
- Swiss Museum of Transport (Verkehrshaus der Schweiz)
- Culture and Congress Centre (KKL)
- Lake Lucerne (Vierwaldstättersee)
- Rosengart Collection (Museum Sammlung Rosengart)
- Chapel Bridge (Kapellbrucke)
- Lucerne (Luzern)
- Lucerne Jesuit Church (Jesuitenkirche Luzern)
- Lucerne Old Town
- Lion Monument (Löwendenkmal)
- Mt. Pilatus
- Pilatus Railways (Pilatus Bahnen)
- Mount Rigi
- Mt. Stanserhorn CabriO Cable Car