Autry Museum of the American West
The one-of-a-kind Autry Museum of the American West paints a well-rounded picture of the region’s history and residents. In its main Griffith Park location as well as its Mt. Washington facility, the museum displays many thousands of artworks and artifacts, from paintings, photographs, and pottery to videos, firearms, and other works. The museum hosts both temporary and permanent exhibitions, and offers a busy events calendar throughout the year.
Perfect for kids and adults alike, the Autry Museum of the American West makes for a popular cultural outing in Los Angeles. It’s also included in the Go Los Angeles Card, which makes arranging a self-guided visit even simpler.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Autry is now constructing a third location: a Resources Center in Burbank, set to open in 2021.
- Tickets to the museum can be booked online in advance of your visit.
- The Autry is a popular destination for history buffs as well as those interested in Native American heritage and culture.
- The museum is free to visit on the second Tuesday of every month; the Mt. Washington location is always free to visitors.
- All areas of the Griffith Park location are wheelchair-accessible, while the Mt. Washington location is only partially accessible.
- The Autry’s museum store sells Western memorabilia, work by local artisans, Native American pottery, and other one-of-a-kind gifts.
- The Crossroads West Cafe serves dishes ranging from brisket to buffalo burgers.
How to Get There
If traveling to the Griffith Park location, take the Metro Local Line 96 to the Autry stop. If traveling to the Mt. Washington location, take the Metro Gold Line to the Southwest Museum Station. Both locations can also be accessed by taxi, Lyft, Uber, or other rideshare service.
When to Get There
The Autry Museum’s main location in Griffith Park is open from 10am–4pm, Tuesday–Friday; and from 10am–5pm, Saturday–Sunday. It is closed each year on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Presidents' Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year's Eve. The Mt. Washington location is open exclusively on Saturdays, from 10am–4pm.
Events at The Autry In addition to its rotating array of temporary exhibitions, the museum hosts events ranging from outdoor movies on the Autry Lawn and cooking demonstrations to concerts, lectures, and more.
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Palm Springs
- Things to do in San Diego
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in Sausalito
- Things to do in Nevada
- Things to do in Arizona
- Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens
- Glendale Galleria
- The Americana at Brand
- Travel Town Museum
- Griffith Park
- Hollywood Sign
- Warner Bros. Studio Tour Hollywood
- Hollyhock House
- Museum of Death Hollywood
- Capitol Records Building
- iFLY Hollywood
- Hollywood Pantages Theatre
- Hollywood Bowl
- Hollywood Walk of Fame
- Universal Studios Hollywood