Cobblers' Bridge (Cevljarski Most)
The popular square figures into many tours that explore the city incorporating various modes of transportation—on foot, bicycle, boat ride, or even a paddle board—and specialized focuses such as architecture, history, or Slovenia’s socialist past and feminist achievements. Eat and drink your way through the city on a culinary and wine tour or tack on a funicular ride up to Ljubljana Castle. If you have the day free, go on a mini-trip to magical Lake Bled.
Cycling tours offer the chance to pedal alongside the river to unique landmarks such as Metelkova, an autonomous cultural center. If you’re coming from Koper, consider taking a day trip to Ljubljana.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Shoemaker's Bridge is an ideal spot to enjoy city life and the beauty of the river.
- Look at the different pillars on the bridge in both Corinthian and Ionic styles.
- Enjoy views of the Ljubljana Castle peering from the hill above.
How to Get There
Located on Sustarski Most, Shoemaker's Bridge is best accessed on foot. The closest bus stops are Drama on the west side and Gornji Trg on the east side, each located less than a quarter-of-a-mile (400 m) from the bridge.
When to Get There
Shoemaker's Bridge is especially lively when the weather is warm. To avoid the crowds that come in the summer high season, visit Ljubljana in the late spring or early fall when the weather is pleasant, and you can find deals on hotels. During Christmastime, the city is especially magical with festive lights, markets, and foods.
Shoemakers and Butchers When Shoemaker’s Bridge was originally built in the 13th century, it was made of wood and populated with booths from the city's many butchers. But the aromas coming from the meat market were so strong that the city relocated the butchers downriver and the shoemakers took over, giving the bridge its nickname.
- Things to do in Bled
- Things to do in Trieste
- Things to do in Koper
- Things to do in Piran
- Things to do in Porec
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Rovinj
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Friuli-Venezia Giulia
- Things to do in Istria
- Things to do in Central Croatia
- National and University Library of Slovenia (Arodna in Univerzitetna Knjiznica)
- Ljubljana Town Hall (Magistrat)
- Museum of Illusions
- Krizanke Summer Theatre (Poletno Gledalisce Krizanke)
- Ljubljana Castle (Ljubljanski Grad)
- Congress Square (Kongresni Trg)
- Ljubljanica River
- Ljubljana Old Town
- Triple Bridge (Tromostovje)
- Preseren Square (Presernov Trg)
- Ljubljana Castle Funicular
- Ljubljana Cathedral (Church of St. Nicholas)
- Butchers' Bridge (Mesarski Most)
- Cankar Centre (Cankarjev Dom)
- Dragon Bridge