Villa Melzi Gardens (Giardini di Villa Melzi)
The Villa Melzi Gardens, considered among the most beautiful in Italy, were designed in the English style, and are dotted with statuary, grottoes, pavilions, a traditional orangery (which today houses a museum), and a small chapel where the Melzi family is entombed. There are a number of paths crisscrossing the grounds, and those along the waterfront are lined with benches to take in the view over the lake. Visit the gardens on a walking, biking, or boat tour of Lake Como and Bellagio. Many Lake Como tours also explore the nearby city of Varenna, Villa Balbianello, and Villa Carlotta. Photography buffs can choose a photography tour that includes a stroll through the Villa Melzi gardens to capture the views.
Things to know before you go
- The Villa Melzi Gardens are a must for avid gardeners and photographers.
- If you are touring the highlights of Lake Como on foot or by bike, wear comfortable shoes and dress for the weather.
- Parts of the gardens are accessible to wheelchair users, but many tours include access on foot and by boat, which may not be suitable for those with limited mobility or a wheelchair.
How to get there
Villa Melzi d’Eril and the Villa Melzi Gardens (Giardini di Villa Melzi) are located in Bellagio directly along the shores of Lake Como. Walk to the gardens from the center of Bellagio or take a water taxi to the jetty adjacent to the grounds.
When to get there
The Giardini di Villa Melzi are open from March through October. Spring and fall are the best seasons to visit, when the gardens are in full bloom but less crowded than the summer months.
Villa del Balbianello
Garden enthusiasts may also want to visit Villa del Balbianello, set on a small promontory on the western shore of Lake Como. The villa’s luxurious interiors and scenic loggia are open to the public, and the lavish gardens with romantic lake views have been used as the setting for a number of Hollywood films.
- Things to do in Lombardy
- Things to do in Ferno
- Things to do in Milan
- Things to do in Davos
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Verona
- Things to do in Parma
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Langhe-Roero and Monferrato
- Things to do in Genoa
- Things to do in Vicenza
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Swiss Alps
- Things to do in Central Switzerland