Saigon River (Song Sai Gon)
The best way to experience the Saigon River, and to get a different perspective of Ho Chi Minh City from the water, is during a cruise on either a traditional Vietnamese junk boat or speedboat. Most tours depart just before sunset, when the evening light casts a magical glow on diverging waterways and floating villages, and include free-flowing alcoholic drinks and Vietnamese-style dishes. If you have limited time, speedboat tours along the Saigon River to the Cu Chi Tunnels are a popular choice.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Saigon River is a must for all visitors to Ho Chi Minh City, and romantic sunset river cruises are ideal for couples.
Combine sightseeing with traveling by using the river to reach the Cu Chi Tunnels.
If cruising, bring sunscreen and a hat, as some boats don’t provide shade.
How to Get There
The Saigon River twists and turns throughout most of Ho Chi Minh City, so wherever you are in Saigon, you’re bound to be close to the river. Most cruise tours include hotel pickup and drop-off, saving you the hassle of making your way to the river yourself.
When to Get There
Sunrise and sunset are undoubtedly the most atmospheric times to experience the Saigon River. In southern Vietnam, the rainy season falls between May and November; visit outside of these months for cooler temperatures and far fewer downpours.
The Best Wandering Along the Saigon River
With its hurtling mopeds and dense traffic, Ho Chi Minh City doesn’t lend itself well to leisurely walking. However, if you follow the path from Ton Duc Thang Street along the Saigon River, you’ll find a refreshingly uncluttered path that reveals French colonial naval buildings, local fishing traditions, the old Saigon banking district, and much more.
- Things to do in Southern Vietnam
- Things to do in Can Tho
- Things to do in Phnom Penh
- Things to do in Krong Kaeb
- Things to do in Nha Trang
- Things to do in Sihanoukville
- Things to do in Angkor Wat
- Things to do in Siem Reap
- Things to do in Ko Chang
- Things to do in Hoi An
- Things to do in My Son
- Things to do in Da Nang
- Things to do in Hue
- Things to do in Mekong Delta
- Things to do in South Coast
- Giac Lam Pagoda (Chua Giac Lam)
- Dam Sen Water Park (Cong Vien Nuoc Dam Sen)
- Bach Dang Wharf (Ben Bach Dang)
- Museum of Traditional Vietnamese Medicine (Fito Museum)
- Cu Chi Wildlife Rescue Station
- Jade Emperor Pagoda
- Quan Am Pagoda (Chua Quan Am)
- War Remnants Museum (Bao Tang Chung Tich Chien Tranh)
- Binh Tay Market (Cho Binh Tay)
- Thien Hau Temple (Chua Ba Thien Hau)
- Cholon (Saigon Chinatown)
- Tao Dan Park
- Reunification Palace (Independence Palace)
- Paris Square (Cong Truong Cong Xa Paris)
- Saigon Central Post Office