Saigon Notre Dame Cathedral (Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Saïgon)
The Saigon Notre-Dame Basilica (Nhà Thờ Chính Tòa Đức Bà Sài Gòn) has become an architectural and religious icon in the bustling southern city. The neo-Romanesque structure serves as an active place of worship for Vietnam’s 6 million Catholics. Most private and group city sightseeing tours, including a fun cyclo option, stop at the cathedral, as well as the nearby Reunification Palace and the sobering War Remnants Museum.
Things to Know Before You Go
The cathedral basilica is a must-visit for spiritual travelers, architecture buffs, and first-time visitors to Saigon.
Remember to dress respectfully, as this is an active place of worship.
Expect a full house for Sunday morning Mass; arrive early to get a seat.
The cathedral is undergoing a major renovation and is closed to tourists (with the exception of Sunday Mass) until its expected completion in 2020.
How to Get There
Saigon Notre Dame Cathedral is located in downtown Ho Chi Minh between Le Duan and Nguyen Du near the Cong xa Paris bus stop. It is one block northeast of the Reunification Palace.
When to Get There
The cathedral is open for cultural visits Monday to Saturday in the morning and afternoon. If you’d like to attend a Mass, they are held twice daily on weekdays and seven times on Sunday. One Sunday morning Mass is celebrated in English.
The Miracle of Our Lady of Peace
The Notre Dame Cathedral Basilica gained international attention in October 2005, when a few visitors claimed to see a single tear slide down the right cheek of the statue of the Virgin Mary standing outside. Hundreds of subsequent visitors have claimed that the stain remained for more than a week, yet the Catholic Church of Vietnam ultimately refuted the “miracle.”
- Things to do in Southern Vietnam
- Things to do in Can Tho
- Things to do in Phnom Penh
- Things to do in Krong Kaeb
- Things to do in Nha Trang
- Things to do in Sihanoukville
- Things to do in Angkor Wat
- Things to do in Siem Reap
- Things to do in Ko Chang
- Things to do in Hoi An
- Things to do in My Son
- Things to do in Da Nang
- Things to do in Hue
- Things to do in Mekong Delta
- Things to do in South Coast
- Pham Ngu Lao Street
- Museum of Fine Arts
- Ho Chi Minh City Cruise Ports
- Ben Thanh Market (Cho Ben Thanh)
- Bitexco Financial Tower
- Tao Dan Park
- Saigon Skydeck
- Thien Hau Temple (Chua Ba Thien Hau)
- Quan Am Pagoda (Chua Quan Am)
- Dong Khoi Street (Duong Dong Khoi)
- Reunification Palace (Independence Palace)
- Saigon Opera House (Opéra de Saïgon)
- War Remnants Museum (Bao Tang Chung Tich Chien Tranh)
- Vietnam Cookery Center
- Paris Square (Cong Truong Cong Xa Paris)