The mighty Mekong is Southeast Asia’s longest river and cruising around the canals, waterways, and floating markets of the Mekong Delta—often called the “rice bowl” of Vietnam—offers a startling contrast to the busy urban center of Ho Chi Minh City. Here are your options for Mekong Delta tours.
Binh Tay Market (Cho Binh Tay)
57 Tháp Mười, 2, Quận 6, Hồ Chí Minh, Vietnam
More than 2,000 stalls operate within this chaotic market, where visitors come to buy spices, textiles, and street food. Encompassing four city blocks, Binh Tay is part of most city sightseeing tours, including shore excursions for cruisers at Phu My Port. Guided cyclo tours of Vietnam’s largest Chinatown also include time to shop the market plus visits to Lady Thien Hau Temple and Cha Tam Church, while dedicated shopping tours offer bargain-hunting tips from a local guide.
Things to Know Before You Go
A visit to Binh Tay Market is a must for foodies and shopping enthusiasts.
Tour the market with a local guide for tips on what to buy and how to get the best prices.
Bring cash in small denominations and be prepared to haggle.
Binh Tay Market may not be entirely accessible for wheelchair users.
How to Get There
Binh Tay Market is located in the southwest part of the city, a 17-minute drive from Dong Khoi and 35 minutes from Tan Son Nhat Airport. Many city tours stop by the market, as do more specialized excursions, some of which offer round-trip transportation.
When to Get There
Binh Tay is open throughout the day, but the best time to visit is in the morning when the market is busiest. Stick around for a late breakfast or early lunch in the food court.
History of the Market
Quach Dam, a disabled Chinese immigrant who got his start collecting scrap, founded Binh Tay Market. Keep an eye out for the shrine that was built in his honor, located in the central courtyard of the market.
- Things to do in Southern Vietnam
- Things to do in Can Tho
- Things to do in Phnom Penh
- Things to do in Krong Kaeb
- Things to do in Nha Trang
- Things to do in Sihanoukville
- Things to do in Angkor Wat
- Things to do in Siem Reap
- Things to do in Ko Chang
- Things to do in Hoi An
- Things to do in My Son
- Things to do in Da Nang
- Things to do in Hue
- Things to do in Mekong Delta
- Things to do in South Coast
- Cholon (Saigon Chinatown)
- Quan Am Pagoda (Chua Quan Am)
- Thien Hau Temple (Chua Ba Thien Hau)
- Dam Sen Water Park (Cong Vien Nuoc Dam Sen)
- Giac Lam Pagoda (Chua Giac Lam)
- Museum of Traditional Vietnamese Medicine (Fito Museum)
- Saigon Notre Dame Cathedral (Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Saïgon)
- Tao Dan Park
- Pham Ngu Lao Street
- Bach Dang Wharf (Ben Bach Dang)
- War Remnants Museum (Bao Tang Chung Tich Chien Tranh)
- Ben Thanh Market (Cho Ben Thanh)
- Museum of Fine Arts
- Reunification Palace (Independence Palace)
- Paris Square (Cong Truong Cong Xa Paris)