The mosque and its minaret meld traditional Tang Dynasty and Arabic architectural characteristics. Those who climb to the top of the minaret, once used as a beacon for boats on the Pearl River, will be rewarded with spectacular views. In addition to the minaret, non-Muslim travelers can also visit the Ming Dynasty Moon Tower, gardens, and exhibition hall, though you may need to visit as part of a tour group. Only Muslims may visit the main prayer hall.
Things to Know Before You Go
Huaisheng Mosque is a must-visit for spiritual travelers, architecture buffs, and all first-time visitors to Guangzhou.
Dress modestly, including a headscarf for women, as this is an active place of worship.
Allow 30 minutes to an hour to explore the mosque grounds.
How to Get There
Take the Guangzhou metro (Line 1) to Ximenkou Station and leave through Exit B. Several bus lines also stop at the nearby Zhongshan Liu Lu stop.
When to Get There
The mosque is open daily throughout the year, but it can get busy during Muslim and Chinese national holidays.
History of the Mosque
An ancient Chinese manuscript says that the Huaisheng Mosque was built by a Muslim missionary, Abu Wangus, on the first mission to China, sometime in the 630s. The mosque was destroyed by fire and rebuilt in 1350 and again in 1695. Today it remains a popular Muslim pilgrimage site and serves as a memorial to Abu Wangus.
- Things to do in Southern China
- Things to do in Shenzhen
- Things to do in Macau SAR
- Things to do in Yangshuo
- Things to do in Guilin
- Things to do in Nanning
- Things to do in Xiamen
- Things to do in Nanchang
- Things to do in Sanya
- Things to do in Halong Bay
- Things to do in Zhangjiajie
- Things to do in Hanoi
- Things to do in Taipei
- Things to do in Guangxi
- Things to do in Okinawa
- Temple of the Five Immortals (Wuxian Guan)
- Temple of the Six Banyan Trees (Liurong Si)
- Bright Filial Piety Temple (Guangxiao Si)
- Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall (Sun Zhongshan Ji Nian Tang)
- Chen Clan Academy (Chen Jia Ci)
- Museum of the Mausoleum of the Nanyue King
- Yuexiu Park (Yuexiu Gongyuan)
- Guangzhou Museum
- Shamian Island
- Guangdong Museum of Art (GDMoA)
- Canton Tower
- Pearl River (Zhujiang)
- White Cloud Mountain (Baiyun Shan)
- Chimelong Paradise
- Chimelong Water Park