Octagon Wildlife Sanctuary And Rehabilitation Center
All the animals at the Octagon Wildlife Sanctuary and Rehabilitation Center were rescued from abandonment or previous owners. Plaques in front of the enclosures explain a bit about each animal and how it came to live in the sanctuary, and volunteers are on hand to answer questions. Explore at your own pace on a self-guided tour.
Things to Know Before You Go
The sanctuary is a must-see for wildlife lovers.
Although the sanctuary is accessible to wheelchairs and strollers, the paths are mostly made up of sand and gravel.
Take your own food and have lunch at one of the covered picnic tables.
Take a camera—the sanctuary is a great place to capture wildlife photos.
How to Get There
Located in southwestern Florida between Punta Gorda and Fort Myers, the sanctuary is easiest to reach by car. From Punta Gorda: Take Route 74 east to Route 31. Head south on Route 31, then turn right on Horseshoe Road—the sanctuary is the fourth driveway on the right. From Fort Myers: Take Route 80 east to Route 31. Head north on Route 31, and take a left on Horseshoe Road.
When to Get There
The sanctuary is open year-round: Monday through Friday from 9am to 12pm, and Saturday from 11am to 4pm. From November through May, the sanctuary is also open on Sunday from 11am to 4pm. Visit in the morning to see the animals at their most active.
Top Attractions Near Octagon Wildlife Sanctuary
It’s convenient to pair a trip to the sanctuary with one or more classic Florida attractions or activities. The nearby cities of Punta Gorda and Fort Myers both offer beaches, fishing, shopping, and more. Go kayaking, wander a museum, take a tour of the Everglades from Fort Myers, or explore the harborside in Punta Gorda’s Fishermen’s Village.
- Things to do in Tampa
- Things to do in Orlando
- Things to do in Fort Myers
- Things to do in St Augustine
- Things to do in Fort Lauderdale
- Things to do in Miami
- Things to do in St Petersburg
- Things to do in Sarasota
- Things to do in Clearwater
- Things to do in Crystal River
- Things to do in Cocoa Beach
- Things to do in Cape Canaveral
- Things to do in Grand Bahama Island
- Things to do in Georgia
- Things to do in New Providence Island
- Manatee Park
- Burroughs Home & Gardens
- IMAG History and Science Center
- Southwest Florida Museum of History
- Calusa Nature Center and Planetarium
- Edison and Ford Winter Estates
- Six Mile Cypress Slough Preserve
- Lakes Park
- Zoomers Amusement Park
- Fort Myers Beach
- Sanibel Island
- J.N. Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge
- Off the Hook Comedy Club
- Naples Zoo at Caribbean Gardens
- Rookery Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve