If you are looking for an active day you can head to Washington Park’s recreation facilities for tennis, basketball, horseshoes, or lawn bowling. When you want to relax, the park is just as ideal for picnicking or lounging on the expansive grounds. You can visit the park on guided sightseeing tours including a motor scooter tour that takes you through Denver’s many city parks while learning about the history and architecture of the city.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The park is a go-to spot for outdoor recreation enthusiasts, gardeners, and families.
- There are numerous restaurants, shops, and bars in the neighborhoods around the park.
- The park has two playgrounds and one of them is handicap accessible.
- You can rent the boathouse and picnic areas for special events.
How to Get There
Located in south central Denver, the park is 5 miles (8 kilometers) from downtown Denver. It can be reached by car or public transportation. There are also multiple bike routes that connect the park to the rest of the city.
When to Get There
The park is open year round and hosts free concerts throughout the summer. Visit in June for the annual Colorado Symphony experience. The park is typically busiest in the afternoons and evenings so visit early to avoid the crowds.
The Washington Park Neighborhoods Washington Park is located close to the fine dining, galleries, boutique shops, bars, and breweries of South Pearl Street and Old South Gaylord. Both districts are popular amongst locals and tourists seeking a night out or a day shopping and exploring the city. Old South Gaylor is one of the oldest shopping and dining locations in Denver and has several historic attractions such as the oldest acoustic music shop in Denver.
- Things to do in Colorado
- Things to do in Fort Collins
- Things to do in Breckenridge
- Things to do in Colorado Springs
- Things to do in Vail
- Things to do in Aspen
- Things to do in Albuquerque
- Things to do in Sedona
- Things to do in Phoenix
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in Utah
- Things to do in New Mexico
- Things to do in Monument Valley
- Things to do in Arizona
- Things to do in Missouri