Circular Congregational Church
This meeting house is an important historical fixture in Charleston as it helped define the city in its efforts to promote tolerance and understanding. It’s so important, in fact, that the street it resides on, Meeting Street, was named after the gathering place’s original intention. In addition to promoting open dialogue, the church is also known for its graveyard and headstone art. The graveyard is presumed to be the oldest English burial ground still in existence in Charleston, while the gravestones document the unique evolution of tombstone art in colonial America.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Circular Congregational Church of Charleston is a partner of the Charleston Museum, working together to provide an in-depth collection of colonial American history to the public.
- Most guided tours to the meeting house and its graveyard occur at night.
- The earliest unmarked grave in the graveyard dates back to 1695.
- The church is wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
The Meeting Street gathering place is best reached by car. Guests are encouraged to park for free at either the Cumberland Street Parking Garage or the surface lot next to the church (behind the bank) on the corner of Meeting and Cumberland Streets.
When to Get There
The Circular Congregational Church of Charleston is open daily and holds worship every Sunday morning at 8:30am and 11am.
Charleston Museum For an interesting and educational look into Charleston’s past, visit the Charleston Museum for a glimpse into the history of one of the oldest cities in the United States. Exhibits at this museum include prehistoric skeletons and fossils, Revolutionary War artifacts, and an interactive display for kids.
- Things to do in South Carolina
- Things to do in Savannah
- Things to do in Jacksonville
- Things to do in Greenville
- Things to do in St Augustine
- Things to do in Daytona Beach
- Things to do in Gainesville
- Things to do in Atlanta
- Things to do in Orlando
- Things to do in Cape Canaveral
- Things to do in Cocoa Beach
- Things to do in Tampa
- Things to do in Freeport
- Things to do in Georgia
- Things to do in Virginia
- Gibbes Museum of Art
- St. Philips Church
- Charleston City Market
- St. Michael's Church
- Heyward-Washington House
- Old Exchange & Provost Dungeon
- Rainbow Row
- Charleston Waterfront Park
- Edmondston-Alston House
- The Battery and White Point Garden
- Joseph Manigault House
- Charleston Museum
- Children's Museum of the Lowcountry (CML)
- Aiken-Rhett House
- Aiken-Rhett House