Gambino Winery (Vini Gambino)
The family-owned Gambino Winery sits in the northern foothills of Mt. Etna’s wine region, and produces a number of DOC red and white wines from grapes grown on the slopes of Europe’s largest active volcano. Most tastings at the winery include samples of a variety of wines paired with local cheeses, olive oils, and other Sicilian specialties; true gourmands can opt for a full wine-pairing lunch at the winery. Otherwise, combine your wine tasting with sightseeing by joining a tour that also stops at the nearby village of Linguaglossa overlooking the Alcantara Valley, the historic coastal town of Taormina, or the Silvestri Craters high above the volcano’s peak.
Things to know before you go
- Guests must be 18 to participate in wine tastings, so a visit to the Gambino Winery is geared towards adults.
- Bring your camera to capture the views from the winery over the surrounding vineyard-covered hillsides.
- The winery is not accessible to wheelchair users.
- Choose comfortable footwear and clothing, and bring a sun hat to tour the vineyards.
How to get there
The Gambino Winery, or Vini Gambino, is located near the village of Linguaglossa on the northern side of Mt. Etna, a short drive from the towns of Taormina and Catania. There is no public transportation to the winery, so the best way to visit is by joining a tour or tasting that includes round-trip transport to avoid having to navigate unfamiliar rural roads.
When to get there
The best time to visit the winery is in late summer and early fall during the traditional vendemmia, or grape harvest. Otherwise, spring and early summer offer the best views over the countryside and mild temperatures.
Wines from Mt. Etna
Gambino produces three signature Etna wines: Tifeo Rosso made with Nerello Mascalese and Nerello Cappuccio grapes; Tifeo Bianco made with Carricante, Catarratto and Minnella grapes; and Tifeo Rosé made with Nerello Mascalese grapes.
- Via Etnea
- Villa Bellini
- Via Crociferi (Via dei Crociferi)
- Massimo Bellini Opera House (Teatro Massimo Bellini)
- San Benedetto Church (Chiesa San Benedetto)
- Piazza Duomo
- Benedictine Monastery of San Nicolò l'Arena (Monastero Benedettini di San Nicolò l'Arena)
- Catania Archaeological Park (Parco Archeologico Greco-Romano di Catania)
- Ursino Castle (Castello di Ursino)