Albergati Palace (Palazzo Albergati)
Many of the most important temporary art exhibitions in Bologna are housed in the sumptuous baroque halls of Palazzo Albergati. Art aficionados can enjoy the works on display while architecture enthusiasts marvel at the Albergati family’s grand residence. Before visiting, check the schedule of events and purchase a skip-the-line ticket.
Set in the heart of historic Bologna, the palace is easy to visit on a tour of city highlights, including Piazza Maggiore, the Basilica di San Petronio, the Two Towers, and the churches of Santo Stefano and San Domenico. Bologna also happens to be home to one of Italy’s most beloved traditional cuisines—so if you’re a gourmand, opt for a food tour that combines sightseeing with the chance to sample local specialties.
Things to Know Before You Go
Palazzo Albergati is partially accessible to wheelchairs—request information at the entrance.
There are no cafés or restaurants inside the palace, but the surrounding area offers a number of dining options.
How to Get There
Palazzo Albergati is located in the restricted traffic area of Bologna’s historic center. To get there, walk from Piazza Maggiore to Via Saragozza, where the palace takes up a long stretch of the street.
When to Get There
The palace is open only for special art exhibitions and events, so be sure to check the schedule before you plan to visit.
The Art and Architecture of Palazzo Albergati
Based on a design attributed to Baldassarre Peruzzi or Domenico da Varignana, work on the palace began in 1519, though its monumental facade was finished only in the early 1600s. Inside the palace, look for several important 17th- and 18th-century frescoes, including a frieze by Bartolomeo Cesi depicting the history of Hannibal and the Second Punic War.
- Things to do in Emilia-Romagna
- Things to do in Modena
- Things to do in Ferrara
- Things to do in Ravenna
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Chianti
- Things to do in Parma
- Things to do in Verona
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Genoa
- Things to do in Milan
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Things to do in Veneto
- Anatomical Theatre of the Archiginnasio (Teatro Anatomico dell'Archiginnasio)
- Basilica of San Domenico (Basilica di San Domenico)
- Bologna Piazza Maggiore
- San Petronio Basilica (Basilica di San Petronio)
- Fountain of Neptune (Fontana del Nettuno)
- Prendiparte Tower (Torre Prendiparte)
- Two Towers (Due Torri)
- Basilica of Santo Stefano (Basilica di Santo Stefano)
- Oratory of Santa Cecilia (Oratorio Di Santa Cecilia)
- Bologna University Quarter
- Sanctuary of the Madonna of San Luca (Santuario della Madonna di San Luca)
- National Gallery of Bologna (Pinacoteca Nazionale di Bologna)
- Ducati Museum (Museo Ducati)
- Marconi Museum (Museo Marconi)
- Lamborghini Museum (Museo Lamborghini)