Photography Museum (Museum für Fotografie)
The Photography Museum showcases some of the world’s most iconic photographers and pieces from the 19th to 21st centuries. The collections feature works by some of the world’s first photographers—Édouard Baldus, Edward Steichen, Willy Romer—and span the history of photographic art. You’ll see many pieces by Helmut Newton as well as other exhibits that push the limits of the art of photography.
Individual admission tickets are available, or you can purchase the Berlin Pass for free entry to the Photography Museum and 50 other attractions in the city plus a public transit ticket.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Photography Museum is a must-visit for photography and art aficionados.
Backpacks, briefcases, umbrellas, and tripods must be left in the cloakroom.
Visitors generally spend about two hours exploring the museum.
The entire museum is wheelchair accessible and features an accessible lift and bathrooms on the ground floor. Wheelchairs are available at the museum.
How to Get There
The Photography Museum is conveniently located next to the Berlin Zoo in Charlottenburg at Jebensstrasse 2. Take the U1, U2, U9, S5, S7, or S75 to Zoologischer Garten station. Several city buses, including the 100, 200, M45, and M49, service the nearby Hertzallee (Berlin) stop.
When to Get There
The Photography Museum is open from 11am to 7pm Tuesday through Sunday with extended hours (until 8pm) on Thursday. Though this museum rarely gets crowded, visit during the week for the most contemplative experience. Guided museum tours are available every Sunday at 4pm.
The Works of Helmut Newton
The 3-floor museum complex is home to the Helmut Newton Foundation, the prolific German-Australian photographer whose iconic black-and-white photos graced the pages of Vogue. The permanent collection features many of Newton’s various phases throughout the years as well as pieces from his wife, Alice Springs. Temporary exhibits of his photo collections include “Sex and Landscapes,” “Men, War & Peace,” and “Between Art & Fashion.”
- Things to do in Potsdam
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Hamburg
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Wroclaw
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Frankfurt
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Things to do in Bohemia
- Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church (Kaiser-Wilhelm Gedächtniskirche)
- Berlin Zoo and Aquarium
- Kurfürstendamm (Ku'damm)
- KaDeWe (Kaufhaus des Westens)
- Berlin Victory Column (Siegessäule)
- Tiergarten Park
- Bauhaus Archive Museum of Design (Bauhaus-Archiv Museum für Gestaltung)
- Schwules Museum (Gay Museum)
- Wintergarten Berlin
- Art Library (Kunstbibliothek)
- Gemälde Gallery (Gemaeldegalerie)
- Museum of Decorative Arts (Kunstgewerbemuseum)
- German-Russian Museum Berlin-Karlshorst
- MACHmit! Museum for Children (Kindermuseum MachtMit)