Despite its modest white façade, flanked by four simple Doric pilasters, the Chiesa Nuova, or New Church, is one of Assisi’s most historically important churches, founded on the site of the house of Saint Francis’ home and birthplace. A church has stood on this spot since the 14th century, but the modern-day structure dates back to the early 17th century, when it was built under patronage of King Philip III of Spain, and has since become a significant landmark for pilgrims.
The most notable features of the Renaissance-style Chiesa Nuova are the colorful frescoes by Cesare Sermei and Giacomo Giorgetti that adorn the interiors and the adjoining museum and library that offer greater insight into the site’s unique history.
Browse. Filter. Book.
What's the best way to experience Chiesa Nuova?
- Small Group Tour of Assisi and St. Francis Basilica visit
- Assisi Private Walking Tour including St. Francis Basilica
- Assisi Full day tour including St Francis Basilica and Porziuncola
- Assisi - the city of San Francesco
Things to do near Assisi
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Perugia
- Things to do in Orvieto
- Things to do in Arezzo
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Ascoli Piceno
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Rome
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Marche
- Things to do in Tuscany